Film Recco : Rabbit Hole because death is difficult to deal with

Posted: January 3, 2011 by moifightclub in cinema, Movie Recco
Tags: , ,

Rabbit Hole – Film Recco by Kartik Krishnan

I have interacted with kids in my limited life experience. Cute ones, silly ones, irritating ones, relentlessly curious ones. Haven’t been so fond of most of them but of some of them. The ‘nice’ ones.

Needless to say that is a very biased perception. Because I’m sure the day I become a father, regardless of how cute, ugly, nagging, constantly pottying-pissing, relentlessly crying my kid will be, to put in a cliche he’ll always be “the apple of my eye”.

There are some losses that are irreplacable – that of a loved one. A mother, father, spouse, brother, dear friend. Somehow to me the death of a child has always seemd to be the most painful one.

And somehow, I have always prayed (which is very infrequent and rare) that such a tragedy may never befall on anyone.

How does an urban well to do couple cope up with that loss?

How does the couple cope up with it even after months have passed, since the event?

How much of alcoholism, weed, food, gyming, squash, binging or any of the ‘cathartic’ activities one can do to evade the pain, is enough ?

How does it affect you in the every single most unimaginable way – the conversations with random strangers, your family, your spouse, your daily routine, the most mundane aspects of your life ?

Do you cling on to the memories or do you move on ?

Is it easy to move on ?

Do you still play the blame game even when you know it is pointless to play it since no matter who wins, both have lost?

Do you blame God and say “If my son was such an angel, then why did God take him away from us ? Why didn’t he make one up ? He is God after all”.

Do you drift apart from you spouse and hide the ways you cope up with your depression from him/her – eventually feel guilty as though you were not an aggrieved parent but an infidel ?

No sir/madam, those questions come after you finish watching this film.

As for me, after I finished watching this film, only one thing came to my mind.

I wanted to go and hug my parents.

Highly highly reccomended this film. Just relax and let the film win you over.

( P.S – I love you Nicole Kidman, for acting in and producing this film. )

( P.P.S – I love the rest of the team associated with this film too 🙂

Comments
  1. moifightclub says:

Sooper one. loved it. Death and so much black humour…difficult to crack. And the last sequence is super gorgeous and brillant!

2. Dhruva says:

I come to moifightclub more often than PFC nowadays precisely to avoid such kind of fanboy posts.

Dear moifightclub,

please continue your impersonal/critical way of anayzing movies and avoid into getting such posts which come across as more emotional/fanboy’ish than cinematically relevant.

3. kartik says:

Dhruva – you have an extremely valid point and your criticism is well taken. Will keep it in mind in future. Thanks.

In my defence, it is not a ‘review’ of the film. You can check out ebert for that. Or even other moifc posts for the same.

Cinematic relevance of Rabbit Hole can be discussed easily because it is the MOST cinematically relavent of recent film. But that would have been stating the obvious. And something which most of every ‘reviewer’ would.

It is a recco. And loosen up yaar, we all can be fanboys to great films can’t we ?

A humble request – watch the film and then re visit this post and tell me what your thoughts are. Would appreciate if you could come up with an impersonal/critical way of analysing this movie which is cinematically relevant.

Thanks for dropping by 🙂

4. rajster says:

Amazing film this. Nicole Kidman just stole my heart with her performance. Loved the climax and some dialogues which were sparkling. Great Recco!!!

5. Fatema says:

‘There are some films which cease to be films. Which suck you in and you are not thinking about what the director would have said to get such a brilliant performance from the leads, where he would have placed the camera, what the writer wrote and how, who produced the film, how come the film doesn’t have a ‘story’ and yet it is so powerful.’

You nailed it. Goosebumping even after fifteen hours have lapsed since I watched it. Tumba thanks for the recco!

6. Masooma says:

Shaken…. At the sensitivity in the writing, the raw portrayal of grief and our groping for comfort. How deep do we want to go?

Thanks Kartik, Would have missed a gem if it weren’t for u…..

• Masooma says:

Ah!!! And i must must draw your attention to that part where Nicole asks Jason if his father was a scientist and he replies you are ‘reading into it’. Secretly me thinks the entire film hinges on this one line…

Things just happen even awful things like death…. but are we ‘reading into it too much’? Is there a rabbit hole to go into?

7. […] Film Recco : Rabbit Hole because death is difficult to deal with […]