WHAT : The East Side Story (TESS) is a short film festival organized by the Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication (SIMC-UG). A two-day long event, TESS is one of the few Undergraduate fests looking to recognize raw talent in filmmaking.
WHOM : It is for all student film-makers of India – any student with a valid college ID can participate in any of the categories.
DATES : The festival is on the 14th and 15th of September. The first day is an exhibition where eminent short films will be screened. The directors / crew members of these films will be present to have a discussion with the crowd. The 15th of September is the day of the competition.
FILMS & PRIZES : There are two main categories – ad films and live action. The category of live action has sub-categories.
– Category: Ad films
a. Best Ad Film
1st prize: Rs. 30,000
2nd prize: Rs. 20,000
3rd prize: Rs. 10,000
– Category: Live Action
a. Best Short Film
b. Best Director
An opportunity to be a part of the crew making the next short film for Grey Oak Pictures. The winner will get a chance to work with professional film equipment and interact with well-known actors as well as technicians. The budget of the film will be around Rs. 30,000 and its story will be based on a short story published by Grey Oak Publications.
c. Best Editor
d. Best Cinematographer
e. Best Screenplay
A special gift hamper from Penguin Books India which will contain books related to film-making and screenwriting. These books are all a part of the publication house’s coveted collection of books. Apart from this, a cash prize of Rs. 5,000 will also be given.
– All the winning entries will also be screened at Shamiana’s short film club meetings around India. ().
– Pocket Films will take the responsibility of distributing these films around the country and the profits of the same will be shared with the film-makers.
1. Anjum Rajabali (Screenwriter – The Legend of Bhagat Singh, Raajneeti, Aarakshan)
2. Piyush Jha (Novelist/Director – Mumbaistan (novel), Sikandar, King of Bollywood, Chalo America)
3. Prashant Naik (Editor – I am Kalam, Climate’s First Orphans (short film), HOD, Editing Department, Whistling Woods International)
4. Cyrus Dastur (Founder, SHAMIANA – The Short Film Club)
5. Ramanuj Shastry (Chief Creative Officer, Saatchi and Saatchi (India)
CONTACT : For more information, log onto www.tessfilmfest.in or can mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
VENUE : Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication (UG), Survey no. 231, Viman Nagar, Pune – 411014