2009 – The Master of Feel Bad started the year delivering his career’s first hit and the Master of Feel Good Cinema ended the year with a recording breaking monster hit! Aha, not that bad if we count only the boundaries. After the musical notes of the year, we sat down to discuss the filmy notes of the year. Here it is – the good, the bad and the fuglies!
1. Best Credit Roll – If ever a credit roll said something so simply and superbly, this is it. Luck By Chance. Also great debut by Zoya Akhtar.
2. Anurag Kashyap turned musical and how! More than a dozen songs and we discovered Amit Trivedi.
3. Anurag Kashyap – 2009 belongs to only one director. Dev D, Gulaal and even Paanch finally got a release, you know where. Whats more, he finished shooting his next film That Girl In Yellow Boots in just 13 days. Aur bolo ?
PS : The same Anurag Kashyap wrote the dialogues for Kurbaan ! Strange bedfellows remained strange.
4. Nobody, we repeat nobody, can save Harman/Hurrman/Harmann/Harrman/Whatever it is Baweja.
5. Wooden Film of the Year – New York. Three good looking woods with zero expression.
6. Ranbir Kapoor – Dude of the year! He is not only working with best directors of bollywood but delivering his best too. Cool & confused, fool & romantic, middle class & lost – he did it all.
7.Imran Luck Khan – The poster boy of 2008 is light years behind Ranbir. He only talks cool and acts still uncool. Competition, whats that ?
8. Imtiaz Ali has only one story to tell. The journey of cool and confused lovers on the verge of marriage. First time, they were about to mary. Second time, they were close to marriage. This time, they finally married and then solved their problem. More here and here.
9. Samir Karnik got money to make one more movie. Who ? Where ? Why ? How ?
10. Rani Mukherjee’s career is over. Hadippa!
11. Multiplex cinema & hits are not everything. Its a big myth. Ask the makers of Wanted. Or is it only Salman Khan ?
12. And if its Salman Khan, why Main Aur Mrs Khanna packed up in just two days ? As they say, nobody knows anything. And what was UTV smoking ?
13. Overrated Gimmicky shit of the year – Paa. More ramblings here.
14. R Balki should stick to making tv commercials. One idea and thats it. He also told the same story again. Smart & dying child bring lovers back together. Age gap somewhere. Check.
15. Akshay Kumar’s bubble busted and how!. He failed everywhere. Chandni Chowk, China, Hollywood, under water, inside or outside Tasveer.
16. The Invisible Director – Who is Anurag Singh ? Does anyone knows him ? The man who put the last nail in the coffin of Rani’s acting career. Hadippa!
17. Sanjay Gupta and gang (read Suparn) are still copying. Even the promos! Now the Unknown ones! More here.
18. Suresh Nair – the only writer to have two big films releases on the same friday. Aladin & London Dreams and both flopped.
19. Underrated Film – Sooni Tarporevala’s delightful Little Zizou, where all the possible parsis united to turn bollywood into pollywood! ( Missed Barah Aana, Mohandas)
20. Ripley’s Believe It Or Not – Sunil Shetty got an award for acting in Anant Mahadevan’s Red Alert – the War Within. Believe it, nobody has seen the film yet.
21. Most Subtle Expression of the year – In Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s Delhi 6, a man lands up with a mirror to show your andar ka kala bandar! Beat this!
22. Nagesh Kuknoor – Dont give him big budgests and big stars. He will go cuckoo-noor!
23. Vishal Bhardwaj delivered again. Five films in a row. And showed us Amole Gupte – the actor. More here.
24. Ajab Prem ki Gazab Kahani tried too hard to be Andaz Apna Apna. Insanity happens! You cant plan and design it.
25. ENG Filmmaker -Madhur Bhandarkar continued his expose and it finally flopped.
26. Smirk & Smug of the Year – Vivek Oberoi in Kurbaan. It was the ROFLOL film of the year where terrorism was wrapped in chiffon saree.
27. RajKumar Hirani lied to all of us and made the same film again. As a friend said, its Munnabhai B Tech. More here.
28. Couple Of The Year – Jaideep Sahni & Shimit Amin who delivered Rocket Singh – Sales Man of the Year! More here.
29. The only U-25 who proved us wrong – Ayan Mukherjee. Wake up Sid. Confident debut. More here.
30. Only 12 scenes, not 12 roles – Ask Priyanka Chopra. Easily the best performance of the year. Length doesnt matter, performanace counts. Vishal did it. Gowariker failed.
Bravery Awards – Aftab Shivdasani turned writer and producer with Aao Wish Karein.
Someone directed a film titled Jai-Veeru!
Abhijeet Sawant turned actor.
LOL Titles Of The Year – They said it all. No explanations required.
Kal Kisne Dekha
Do Knot Disturb
Fruit & Nuts
Aa Dekhein Zara
Dhoondte Rah Jaoge
Ek Se Bure Do
Shorkut – The Con Is On
PS. ENG – Electronic New Gathering.
Coming up next – what to expect in 2010!