Filmmaker Darren Aronofsky was a special guest at 12th Marrakech International Film Festival where his masterclass was one of the main attractions of the fest. Some of us got time to sit down with him and talk about his films, characters, reviews, how he works and his thought process. Click on the play button and enjoy!
For pointers on specific topics, you can follow the time code given after the audio file.
at the start – on Sandy and Noah‘s shoot
02:44 – Taking to Twitter. My friend Louis C.K.
04:13 – Studios reaction on giving out film details on Twitter
– The studio was bit nervous but i get the idea about teasing people and still not giving away too much.
05:30 – On Noah. His filmography, ideas.
– The first film I pitched after Pi was Noah.
– All these ideas come from before i was making films. In fact this is my fear I feel I’m running out of ideas!
06:37 – Making a movie with Mickey Rourke. Girls. Phone numbers.
09:00 – On bollywood, Hindi films, Bandit Queen, Sholay
11:55 – From zero budget indies to big budgets Studio films
– Every film i have done up to this time, nobody wanted to make it except me.
13:20 – Animals, Water, Life Of Pi
14:37 – Superhero films
16:00 – Characters in dark territory, uncomfortable feeling, Happy endings
– So you drive your characters made. DA – Fair enough.
17:14 – Comedies? Did four shorts in film school. Two comedies.
18:15 – Mad people. Over the edge.
– Classical Hollywood happy ending never made sense to me.
20:55 -Looking back at your films and finding flaws
– Never look at your films, it’s kind of like masturbation.
– I watched Requiem for A Dream and I couldn’t recognize the person who had made it. It was surely a different person.
22:50 – Reviews, Criticism. Unromantic reviewer at Variety.
– when I meet her, it won’t be a good day.
26:40 – HBO series Hobgoblin