– Working with actors and script is at the core of this programme and each participant will workshop and develop his/her approach to scenes using scripts provided but also work-shopping scenes from their own upcoming films.
MENTOR : The full time two week programme lead by London based director Udayan Prasad (My Son the Fanatic, The Yellow Handkerchief) and professor of Directing at the UK’s NFTVS -National Film and Television School, and LFS-London Film School among others.
- Acting for Directors – being on the other side of the camera.
- Working with actors and the value of understanding the various processes actors employ in inhabiting their characters
- Preparing a scene: the building blocks for directing actors
- Casting – Masterclass & individual consultations
- Opening reels; a look at the ‘set-up’ from various movies.
- Point-of-View – Masterclass
- Dialogue in cinema.
- Examination of story, structure and form
- Screenplay & Writing : Masterclass
- 1 to 1 script consultations on each directors script from internationally renowned script editors.
- Use of dramatic space and light in movies.
- Light, space, colour, framing and movement : Cinematography – Masterclass
- Music & Sound in film – Masterclass
- Choice and manipulation of space : Production design – Masterclass
- Film screenings and analysis will be used throughout the lab.
– The workshop is designed and will be lead by Udayan Prasad and he will be joined by top professionals* from the industry who will share world class knowledge of their particular discipline.
– Accomplished and acclaimed actors* will add their talent and craft to the scenes which will be work-shopped throughout the programme, and share their personal feedback and experience with the participating directors.
ELIGIBILITY (Profile of Directors) : This lab is for working film directors with experience and/or training in the field.
APPLICANTS : should be currently preparing to shoot a feature or short film script which is moving towards production, and be prepared to workshop scenes from their script within the lab.
WORKSHOP DATES : January 19th to 31st 2014
PARTICIPANTS : Strictly limited to 12, by application and selection.
LOCATION : The ‘Directing for Directors’ lab will be held within a hotel/resort style setting within driving distance of Mumbai, but outside the city to allow a full creative retreat experience to unfold.
APPLICATION FFE : Rs 500
FULL LAB FEE (on selection): Rs 1,50,000
– Food & accommodation is included in the fee.
* additional experts and actors will be announced in 1st week January.
– To know more about the lab and to apply, click here.