Without expecting anything, we attended last year’s Ghanta Awards’ final event at Tian, Juhu. And it was a laugh riot. We were there to cheer for a friend who was doing a stand-up act at the event but by the end, we almost had a heart attack. Nobody was spared, nothing was sacred and they didn’t crack any potty/farty jokes. So we have been eagerly looking forward to this year’s Ghanta Awards. Read on to know more about the Awards and the nominations of this year. From the press release…
The Ghantas celebrates and rewards the worst of Bollywood every year. The 2nd Annual Ghanta Awards will reward the Worst of Bollywood for 2011.
Every year, Bollywood takes our hard earned money and countless hours of life only to leave us feeling older, poorer and supremely frustrated. The Ghanta Award was created as a means to give back to these films, to give back to these film makers – to make them understand that they needed to try harder…
Such films and film makers deserve an award, and the Ghanta is that award.
The public vote for the Ghantas 2012 is now open. The ceremony will be in Mumbai in February 2012.
The Ghantas were started by Prashant Rajkhowa and Karan Anshuman in 2011.
Lack of a refund mechanism in place in Bollywood. While there are good movies produced every year, there are several just want us to tear our hair out and dance naked at the Producer’s house demanding refunds. There are more than a dozen film awards to reward the good films but how many to reward the worst of Bollywood? Also, The Razzies are a glorious institution but unfortunately, even after 30 years, they don’t look at Bollywood at all. I think it is very unfair that the world’s most prolific film industry doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. So we decided to rectify the situation.
On what basis were the nominations decided?
Movies that made you want to kill yourself will obviously walk into the list. Also movies that made you want to gouge your eyeballs, slit your wrists, stab a puppy, shoot a dolphin. Movies that made you want to jump off a terrace – not so much, that’s not dramatic enough.
In order that there is a difference between “a bad movie” and simply “a movie I did not like,” we have a jury of film critics (newspaper writers, TV hosts and bloggers) to decide the nominees in each category. The final winners are then decided by a public vote.
Do you really think that these awards will teach Bollywood a lesson and they would make good movies in the future?
Wouldn’t that be counter-productive? If there are no movies to give a Ghanta to, what would we do? All we’re ensuring with these awards is that the film makers know that people do care – if you make a bad film, we’re going to call it a bad film and we’re going to award you for making bad films!
The 2nd Annual Ghanta Awards Procedure
1. Bollywood films released between January 2011 and December 2011 are eligible
2. The nominees in each category will be decided by our jury.
3. The final winners will be decided by a public online vote.
4. People will be able to vote using their Facebook or Twitter accounts.
5. And it all comes down to one night in February 2012 where we present the Ghanta Awards to the deserving winners.
And we plan to broadcast the entire ceremony live online – after all ollywood has touched lives around the world and it’s only fair that the whole world is involved in the show.
The 2nd Annual Ghanta Awards Nominees
Worst Film – 1. Ra.One 2. Bodyguard 3. Ready 4. Mausam
Worst Holier-Than-Thou Movie – 1. Dhobi Ghat 2. No One Killed Jessica 3. That Girl in Yellow Boots 4. Memories in March 5. Shaitan
Worst Actor – 1. Salman Khan – Bodyguard, Ready
2. Shah Rukh Khan – Ra.One, Don 2
3. Ajay Devgn – Rascals, Singham, Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji
4. Sanjay Dutt – Ra.One, Rascals, Chatur Singh 2 Star, Double Dhamaal, Desi Boyz
5. Vinay Pathak – Utt Patang, Tere Mere Phere, Chalo Dilli, Bheja Fry 2
Worst Actress – 1. Kangna Ranaut – Game, Miley Na Miley Hum, Double Dhamaal, Tanu Weds Manu, Ready, Rascals
2. Nargis Fakhri – Rockstar
3. Jacqueline Fernandez – Murder 2
4. Gul Panag – Turning 30
5. Bipasha Basu – Dum Maaro Dum
Worst Supporting Actor
1. Tusshar Kapoor – The Dirty Picture, Hum Tum Shabana, Shor in the City
2. Prateik Babbar – Dhobi Ghat, Aarakshan, Dum Maaro Dum, My Friend Pinto
3. Anupam Kher – Every other film
4. Om Puri – Don 2, Khap, Teen Thay Bhai, Bin Bulaye Baarati
5. Shreyas Talpade – Hum Tum Shabana, Teen Thay Bhai
Worst Supporting Actress
1. Hazel Keech in Bodyguard
2. Giselli Monteiro in Always Kabhi Kabhie
3. Mallika Sherawat in Double Dhamaal
4. Charmy Kaur in Bbuddah Hoga Tera Baap
5. Raveena Tandon in Bbuddah Hoga Tera Baap
Worst Breakthrough – 1. Chirag Paswan 2. Rana Daggubati 3. Zoa Morani 4. Sarah Jane-Dias 5. Nargis Fakhri
Worst Director– 1. Anubhav Sinha – Ra.One 2. Anees Bazmee – Thank You, Ready 3. Pankaj Kapur – Mausam 4. David Dhawan – Rascals 5. Rohit Dhawan – Desi Boyz
Worst Rip-Off – 1. Don 2 – every Hollywood action film 2. Murder 2 – The Chaser 3. Desi Boyz – Full Monty + all Adam Sandler films 4. FALTU – Accepted 5. Ragini MMS – Paranormal Activity
1. Kangna Ranaut and Ajay Devgn in Rascals
2. Kangna Ranaut and Sanjay Dutt in Rascals
3. Kangna Ranaut and Chirag Paswan in Miley Naa Miley Hum
4. Ranbir Kapoor and Nargis Fakhri in Rockstar
5. Shahid Kapur and Sonam Kapoor in Mausam
Worst Song – 1. Dhinka Chika 2. Jalebi Bai 3. Bodyguard title track 4. Dum Maaro Dum 5. Chammak Challo
WTF Was That
1. Akshay Kumar going to Oxford University in Desi Boyz
2. Ghost Rape in Haunted 3D
3. The unexplained science behind the science fiction part of Ra.One
4. Colourful holi song in the middle of a movie about Hitler & the holocaust in ‘Gandhi to Hitler’
5. How Sonam Kapoor & Shahid Kapoor don’t manage to exchange a measly phone number over 10 years in Mausam
Thats Anything But Sexy
1. 3 girls conned by Ranveer Singh’s looks and acting abilities
2. Ram Gopal Verma’s camera angles in Not A Love Story
3. Anything involving Kangana Ranaut in Rascals
4. Akshay Kumar as London’s most in-demand male escort in Desi Boyz
5. Any time Shahrukh Khan says “Junglee Billi” in Don 2
Click here, log in with your Facebook or Twitter and vote for The Ghantas.
(Disclaimer – One of us was on the jury of the Ghanta this year and he honestly voted for all the worst things without watching single one of them. You might ask, what’s the point? Well, if Vishal Dadlani can get two nominations without even singing the song, why can’t we?