WHAT: IMAGING CINEMA 2012: An International Screenwriting and Filmmaking Course
DATES: 1-10 JUNE 2012
VENUE: IIT Madras
Resource people :
▪ Atul Tiwari (Mission Kashmir, Dasavataram, Viswarupam, forthcoming with Kamal Haasan)
▪ K Hariharan (Director, LV Prasad Institute of Film & Television Chennai)
▪ Rohan Sippy (Dum Maro Dum, Bluffmaster, Taxi NO 9211, Kuch naa kaho, The President is Coming)
▪ Shridhar Raghavan ( Screenwriter: Khakee, Dum Maro Dum, Apaharan)
▪ Sriram Raghavan (Director: Agent Vinod, Johnny Gaddar, Ek Haseena Thi)
▪ Anurag Kashyap (Dev D, No Smoking, Gulaal, That Girl in Yellow Boots, Shaitan)
▪ Patricia Gruben (Director, Praxis Screenwriting Programme, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver)
Hands on training with experts in screenwriting and discussion of mechanics of screenwriting and direction with major industry figures.
– The course will be divided in four parts-
1. THE MAGIC OF CINEMA – This capsule in the first 3 days will introduce the participants to the magical world of Cinema, by making them go through a FILM-APPRECIATION module. How to read a film is the basic theme of this section.
2. THE MECHANICS OF CINEMA – This section for next two days will introduce the participants with the mechanics that goes into making a film including Camera, Lighting, Sound, Sets, Editing, Special Effects etc- to demystify and tell how the magic is created.
3. THE METHOD OF CINEMA– This section will introduce the participants to the most basic & important aspect of any film – the Blueprint, the Map, the Method behind the madness – THE SCRIPT. This will go on for next 4 to 5 days and the emphasis will be to make the students WRITE scripts and to dissect and discuss their work in class. It will be a group exercise where a group of 4-5 students will work together on mini-scripts to understand the process of film-script construction. At the end of this the groups will be ready with one short 3-5 minute executable script.
4. THE MAKING OF CINEMA – For Next 2 days – this will be very interesting hands on exercise with the students, where they will have to shoot, act, record sound, edit, do post-production and be ready with their films within 48 hours. Candidates can bring their video cameras or use cell phone cameras.
5. THE MAJESTY OF CINEMA – The last day will be a ‘red carpet’ event where the films made by the student groups will be seen by all. A jury will then rate them and announce the AWARDS to the films – with analysis – so that this too is a time to learn. The certificates will be given to all at the end of the event.
– An IIT-M CERTIFICATE OF PARTICIPATION WILL BE GIVEN AT THE END OF THE COURSE
▪ Rs 10,000/ for professionals
▪ Rs 9000/ for attendees of 2009 & 2010 events
▪ Rs 8000/ students with valid ID and documents
$250 for NRI’s and International Students/professionals.
– Last date of application : April 30
– Application Forms can be dowloaded from Application form IIT Madras Screenwriting Filmmaking Course
– Limited rooms available in IITM guest house (AC), based on the date of applying.
– Few rooms available in hostels (Non ac).
– The course fee does not include accommodation payment.
– Application form duly filled in can be mailed to : firstname.lastname@example.org
– For daily updates, visit www.imagingcinema.wordpress.com