After releasing digitally restored classics like Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro, Salaam Bombay, Chashme Buddoor and Om Dar B Dar, PVR is releasing Satyajit Ray’s timeless classic Mahanagar (The Big City) on 18th April, 2014, under its PVR Director’s Rare banner.
The movie will release with English subtitles across Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata Chennai, Bangalore, Pune and Ahmedabad. Mahanagar has been digitally restored by The RDB Organization under the leadership of Mr. Kamal Bansal.
Mahanagar was originally released in 1963 and Satyajit Ray won the Silver Bear at the 14th Berlin International Film Festival for it in 1964.
Whether you’ve seen it before or not, this is one unmissable big-screen event. Here are some good articles to bookmark and read on the this timeless and universal classic:
- The Film Sufi‘s review of Mahanagar
- Trisha Gupta writes on the occasion of Mahanagar’s 50th Anniversary and on Women, Work and Lakshman Rekhas
- Goutam Ghose, Madhabi Mukherjee, Ranjib Mazumder and Advaita Kala’s reflections on the classic
- Shoma A Chatterjee pays tribute to the film here and here
- And finally Chandak Sengoopta’s Essay for Criterion
And finally, here’s the original illustrated poster by Ray himself followed by a fan made poster by Jahan Bakshi: