Mumbai Mantra, the film and entertainment wing of Mahindras, has launched a new mentorship programme for screenwriters. But this is not the first time that they are trying something like this. They started with Sankalan – a script lab where the idea was to select, develop 6 final scripts after three rounds of filtering and produce the films. They did select the scripts but never bothered to produce a single film out of those selected scripts. Instead they produced some really crappy expensive bollywood films which made no money and they were forced to shut down the production wing. what was the point of the lab?
Later on, they tied up with Sundance Institute to launch the Mahindra-Sundance Scriptlab. They again ran it for three years and the honeymoon seems to be over now. Again scripts selected and mentored. Mumbai Mantra has now launched a new mentorship programme. But it all seems useless unless the scripts developed at the lab gets translated into film. And Mahindra can do it. Not sure what’s lacking.
We do need better scripts and screenwriting programmes. But we need to translate them into films too.
Here’s more details on Cinerise
– Applications to the Mumbai Mantra CineRise Screenwriting Programme will only be accepted in hard copies, not electronically, and must reach by August 20th, 2014 with the following details:
- STORY: The complete story on which your script will be based. Should have 6-8 pages with a beginning, middle and an end.
- WRITER’S STATEMENT: A 2-page note outlining what your project is about. Do explain what motivated you to tell this story, and why you believe you are best placed to write it. If you have a view on how the project should be treated (sensibilities, style, etc.), do share in this note.
- WRITER’S BIO WITH CONTACT DETAILS: Attach your bio-data. You can send the bio-data of other key team members (producer, director, DoP, etc.) if they are already attached to the project.
- PLEASE REMEMBER: All the above documents MUST be in the English language, even if the film is going to be in any other Indian language. All documents must be print-outs (and not hand-written) and your story must be registered in your name for copyright purposes with a recognized authority, like a writers’ association or the Copyright Office or WGA, etc.
- DO NOT SEND DVDs of short films or excerpts from other work at this stage. No recommendation letters or references required either and shall be the immediate cause for disqualification.
– Please just put a single staple through all pages. No fancy binders, no paperclips, and no folders please. The whole packet should be around a total of 10-12 pages;one staple should do the trick.
MAILING ADDRESS FOR APPLICATIONS:
Mumbai Mantra CineRise Screenwriting Programme
Mumbai Mantra Media Ltd.,
Mahindra Towers, 5th Floor, Worli,
Mumbai – 400018
– To ensure that your application has been received before the deadline, please use a courier service, which will give you a delivery receipt. You can also submit your application in person at our office reception but you shall NOT be able to meet any staff or have queries answered.
– Selection team will shortlist a total of 100 stories from among the applications.
– The shortlisted writers will be called for a 2-day screenwriting workshop, which will be held in several different cities across the country.
– Shortlisted applicants can select a Center closest to their homes. They will go through intensive interactions with experienced writers and directors.
– Even if you are not in the final 100, you can still attend the first day of the workshop. This will be open to all aspiring screenwriters for a fee of Rs.2000)
- E-mail will remain the only mode of communication for entire process. Email id is email@example.com
– For more details on rules and regulations, click here.