The 5th Dharamshala International Film Festival (DIFF), which will be held from November 3 to 6th, 2016, at the Tibetan Children’s Village, Dharamshala, has announced its programme of films.
DIFF is curated by festival directors Ritu Sarin and Tenzing Sonam, along with associate director Raman Chawla, filmmaker Umesh Kulkarni (short films programme) and children’s media specialist Monica Wahi (children’s films programme).
– 15 filmmakers from across India and the world will present their work at DIFF 2016. Most of the films this year have been screened at prestigious international festivals and several are making their Indian premieres.
– Raam Reddy’s critically acclaimed Thithi will be the opening night film.
– Vetrimaran’s compelling Tamil drama Interrogation (India’s 2016 Oscar entry) will close the festival.
- Wojciech Staroń’s Brothers (Poland)
- Steffi Giaracuni’s Didi Contractor: Marrying the Earth to the Building (Switzerland)
- Laurie Anderson’s Heart of a Dog (France, USA)
- Mickey Lemle’s The Last Dalai Lama? (USA)
- Stanzin Dorjai Gya and Christiane Mordelet’s The Shepherdess of the Glaciers (France, India)
- Rokhsareh Ghaem Maghami’s Sonita (Germany, Switzerland, Iran)
- Sean McAllister’s A Syrian Love Story (UK, France, Lebanon, Syria)
- Pushpa Rawat’s The Turn (India)
- Nguyễn Trinh Thi’s Vietnam the Movie (Vietnam)
Feature Narratives (International)
- Pimpaka Towira’s The Island Funeral (Thailand)
- Portmanteau film Ten Years (Hong Kong)
- Jeon Soo-il’s A Korean in Paris (South Korea)
- Wang Yichun’s What’s in the Darkness (China)
- Boo Junfeng’s Apprentice (Singapore)
- Evi Goldbrunner’s At Eye Level (Germany)
- Khyentse Norbu’s Hema Hema: Sing Me a Song While I Wait (Bhutan)
- Esen Isik’s Köpek (Switzerland)
- Ara Chawdhury’s Miss Bulalacao (Phillipines)
- Sebastian Schipper’s Victoria (Germany)
- Emir Baigazin’s The Wounded Angel (Kazakhstan)
- Raam Reddy’s Thithi
- Vetrimaran’s Interrogation
- Sanjeev Kumar’s Circles of the Mind
- Mangesh Joshi’s Lathe Joshi
- Rajiv Ravi’s Kammatipaadam
- Umesh Kulkarni’s Highway
- Bauddhyan Mukherji’s The Violin Player
Short films (International)
- Tenzin Dasel and Rémi Caritey’s Royal Café (France)
- Kristóf Deák’s Sing (Hungary)
Indian Short Films
- Prabhjit Dhamija’s Asmad
- Hardik Mehta’s Famous in Ahmedabad
- Pankaja Thakur’s The Guide
- Chaitanya Tamhane’s Six Strands
- Nishant Roy Bombarde’s The Threshold
- Payal Sethi’s Leeches
- Nina Sabnani’s We Make Images
- Gurvinder Singh’s Infiltrator
– Special local interest this year comes in the form of our Spotlight on Kangra Valley programme, which features Dharamshala director Sanjeev Kumar’s feature Man de Phere (Gaddi language);Prabhijit Dhamijia’s short Asmad and Steffi Giaracuni’s documentary about a legendary Himachal architect, Didi Contractor: Marrying the Earth to the Building.
– DIFF 2016 will also present a selection of single-channel video installations from Thyssen-Bornemisza Art Contemporary’s private collection: Basel Abbas and Ruanne Abou-Rahme’s Collapseand The Incidental Insurgents (Parts 1 and 2), and Ritu Sarin and Tenzing Sonam’s Some Questions on the Nature of Your Existence.
– Further information on all of these films is available here.
– Online registration for DIFF 2016 is available through Book My Show here.