Aamir Khan’s letter to HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Copyright issue!

Posted: February 17, 2010 by moifightclub in bollywood, cinema, News
Tags: , , , , , ,

16th Feb 2010.

To The Honorable Minister of HRD, Mr Kapil Sibal.

Dear Sir,

I would like to bring to your notice a number of articles which appeared in the media in the past few days.

One appeared on Sunday the 14th of Feb in Mid Day, Mumbai, titled “Bollywood A-List Actor Allegedly Plots Copyright Amendment Sabotage”. (this article does not seem to be available on the net so I will send you a scanned copy by tomorrow), another appeared today 16th of Feb again in the Mid Day http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2010/feb/160210-aamir-takes-on-javed-akhtar.htm  and the third appeared today, 16th of Feb, in Mumbai Mirror.  http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/getpage.aspx?pageid=25&pagesize=&edid=&edlabel=MMIR&mydateHid=16-02-2010&pubname=&edname=&publabel=MM.

(the links to the articles are attached for your reference).

Sir, it seems to me that there is an attempt by certain people to attack me in public by printing lies about me, thereby turning the attention away from a genuine debate about copyright issues.

I am grateful to you for inviting me to be part of a committee to discuss the various issues regarding amendments to the Copyright Act. However in light of these public attacks on me I don’t think I am comfortable to be part of this committee.

Sir, I take great pride in my honesty and integrity, and attach an enormous amount of value to my sense of justice and fair play. Monetary achievements have never excited me. If they had, I would have acted in many more than one film a year, thereby being financially much richer than I currently am. Had I been driven by monetary achievements I would not have produced films that challenge the mainstream and break new ground, films like Lagaan, Taare Zameen Par and Peepli Live, that most producers would hesitate to produce.

I believe that what I have earned is the love and respect of my colleagues and my audience. And this I have done through my work and through the manner in which I work. This is why such public attacks are most damaging to me emotionally and leave me crippled.

In the past 26 years of my involvement with the film industry I may have made mistakes, but never have I knowingly been dishonest or unfair in my dealings, whether as an assistant director, actor, producer or director.

I feel I have a lot to contribute to the ongoing debate but I cannot make any meaningful contribution in this atmosphere. Aggression of this type leaves me feeling very disillusioned and sad and I am unable to function.

Therefore I request you to accept my resignation from this committee and please appoint another person in my place.

I believe that amendments to the Copyright Act are long overdue and I am so happy that a person like you is spearheading this movement. I believe that the changes that you are bringing about in the sphere of education are so dynamic, progressive and positive, that I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you will do the same in the field of copyright.

Yours sincerely,

Aamir Khan.

(PS – Writer-director Saket Chaudhary who was also present during the meeting have been tweeting that the reports have been mostly Mid-Day/Mirror made! It was interesting discussion where every party put out their views strongly. Its the issue that matters, not the faces who are involved.)

And if you are intersted to know more about this intiative by HRD, click here.

Comments
  1. mogambo says:

I would like to see how Dino Morea spreads his arms and sings ‘Kya karu hai..kuch kuch hota hai’

I would like to see how Tusshar Crapoor sings ‘Doli Saja ke Rakhna’ in DDLJ

I’d like to see how Fardeen Khan mouths ‘Ae… kya bolti tu’

I’d like to see Aftab Shivdasani singing ‘Kaho na pyaaar haiiii’

So now that I’ve made my point…moving on…

That report from midday is so obviously one sided… and its midday, a headache inducing gossip rag replete with yellow journalism

Aamir and Akhtar BOTH have valid points… one is championing for writers’ rights while the other is defending the star quality … Midday only reported what Aamir said and what Akhtar said back to him… no mention on what the argument was exactly about…

Mr Perfecto has given Prasoon Joshi a break, i doubt if he is that heartless… even if he is i sincerely doubt if he is so stupid as to go ahead and publicly deride writers…. he had little to do with Bhagat’s crediting in 3 idiots as well since he was handed a humongous contract with one million clauses by Raju Hirani which stated that he shud not mess with the script and filming of 3 idiots. (aamir himself has stated that he was taken aback by the width of the contract)

The reason why he quit the board is not because of being embarrassed at being ‘exposed’ … he’s pissed because the tabloid portrayed him as a vile-unscrupulous-prick-who-wants-writers-to-work-like-slaves-for-free

Do you honestly think these bigwig celebs don’t have arguments? I can tell you a movie set is not a playground…. its fucking intense, and it rains expletives there… and ‘stars’ and directors and writers constantly fight during scripting, during filming and during post prod. Its amazing why no one ‘reveals’ SRK’s fist fights with writers and directors behind closed doors. The man is more arrogant and egotistical than fucking Marlon Brando … even his twitter names stars with ‘i’.

Bollywood bigwigs quite often ask each other to have intercourse with the the others mothers. That doesn’t mean they are mofos, its just temper.

Peace.

2. Dr. Pranab K. Mookerjee says:

To: Mr. Kapil Sibal, Hon’ble Minister for HRD
    Dear Sir,
    It is the time for the selected students of extra- ordinary merits to enter top B-schools in India. But the question remains that how they are going to meet the astronomical expenses for full-time MBA education in these top institutions including IIMs? The interest on Bank education loans is prohibitive and will leave them in huge debt after passing out. Can’t your Ministry think about this seriously, when you have done so much for education, and advocate reform on bank education loans as to be more rational for higher education? Regards.

3. Sanjay singh says:

To: Mr. Kapil Sibal, Hon’ble Minister for HRD
    Dear Sir,
    MNIT should be ranked first among all NITs for such a fee hike. The way they have increased fee it looks like they want to compete with private institutions.
    It should be brought to the notice of public.
    MNIT, Jaipur has increased fee for all undergraduate and postgraduate courses as per the directions of MHRD.
    The most unusual part in that is Fee for all courses is made equal and fee for Part-Time Ph.D is increased by three times. In NITs also fee structure is revised but they have not made fee equal for B.Tech/M.Tech/Ph.D. There is a lot of difference between part-time Ph.D fee of MNIT and other institute.
    Fee of all NITs is available on the website.
    This matter should be brought to the notice of authorities and educationist.
    There was so much of agitation for 10 to 15% rise in the school fee but this increase is beyond 50% and for some courses it is even 300%.
    It is my request to u please take action against it.

with regards
    Sanjay Singh
    Research student

4. Vivek Kumar Singh says:

30th May 2010.

To The Honorable Minister of HRD, Mr Kapil Sibal.

Dear Sir,
    i would like to state that i am an electrical engineering graduate passed out last year in august-september 2009.I have secured 61 % in B.E and the aggregate sum of all semester is 56% only.These figures seems like a curse for me because i am not able to give exams of various industries like NTPC,DVC N others. Because along with this ,most of companies sets an eligibility criteria of 60 to 65 percent aggregate.
    I am not saying that the aforesaid steps are wrong but it matters when a student gets marks unsatisfactorily being a hard laborer due to some
    reason like the college where one thinks of shaping his futre. I belong to a collage known as BHARATI VIDYAPEETH,PUNE , where 65% marks is treated as distinction so college often makes general marking and therefore most of students gets marks within 55 to 60 while in any other collage in India you will get the same at 75% so therefore in other colleges students r getting almost 10 to 15 % more.Due to such fluctuation they are always getting opportunity while we are not even come under eligibility criteria.
    So i request you honorable sir kindly consider my aforesaid statement and by means of some NORMS or ACT kindly develop a new idea by which students like me get benefited.
    yours sincerely
    Vivek Kumar Singh
    EMAIL: vivek_3831@yahoo.co.in
    GSM: +91 805064989

5. MRS PREETI BAWA says:

To The Honorable Minister of HRD ,Mr Kapil Sibal
    Dear Sir
    I am wife of an army officer and interestd in doing B.ed from IGNOU but the requirement of IGNOU is, two years experience certificate from recognised school but no school is ready to hire us without the B.ed certificate and if they do hire then it is for 2-3 months on adhoc basis and that to with very low pay scale of Rs 1000=1500 only
    Sir the stations where my husband is posted the only decent job for me is teaching only .Thus keeping in view the above facts and my delima of getting a certificate may I request you to amend /do away with the clause of experience certificate for wife’s of defence personel.
    Yours sincerely
    Preeti Bawa

6. GEMINI says:

3rd September’2010

RESPECTED HONOURABLE MINISTER SHRI KAPIL SIBBAL SAHAB,

SUBJECT :- REGARDING ABSENCE OF PHYSICS TEACHER AT AIR FORCE SCHOOL, AGRA…..

Sir, Your attention is drawn towards the plight of 11th Standard Class students of Air Force School located at Air Force Station, Agra.

This is to inform you that the students who have chosen PCM (Physics, Chemistry & Maths) in 11th Standard are facing a problem in Physics. Since April’2010 there is no teacher who can teach Physics. The time is fast running out and the loss of studies in this subject will be un-repairable . The UNIT TESTS were held in August for all other subjects except for Physics , because the students had not even opened their books. The students are afraid and scared to report and wonder that if there is no Physics teacher then how will they complete the course which is difficult and important as well. It seems the School is in no hurry to fill this vacancy. There are not many lucky students who have got the evening tuitions for Physics. It all depends on the area that a person is staying. For e.g. I may not be lucky, because the area I am staying does not have a very good Physics tuitor. Moreover my ward is already having tuitions for Chemistry & Mathematics. And for doing these two subjects only, my ward comes back home at 6.30pm exhausted and tired. Hence a good Physics teacher is necessary that the school must have on VERY URGENT BASIS. The school does not seems to be in a hurry or bothered to employ a competent Physics teacher and are playing with their future .

Through this letter I am putting the complaint on behalf of all the students , including my ward, who have chosen Physics that you may kindly put immediate pressure on this school through your good offices, so that they hire/recruit Physics as soon as possible.

Thanking you and I sincerely look forward to your immediate HELP………………!!!!!!
    With warm Regards

A Hassled Parent

7. ullas says:

To The Honorable Minister of HRD ,Mr Kapil Sibal

subject : 1500rs Laptop delayed delivery

Dear Sir,
    I am Ullas Kumar student of Computer Science & Engineering from Mangalore Institute of technology & Engineering Moodabidri, karnataka. Sir i kindly request you to deliver those laptops soon as possible.i would like to connect it to external memory and install windows operating system in those laptops which will be very usefull for the students, or linux will not support education based application software example(visual basic,asp.net etc).Thanks to VIT vellore,IIT Chennai,Mumbai.

Your’s faithfully Ullas Kumar

8. GEMINI says:

19th September’2010

Dear Sir,
    SUBJECT :- REGARDING PHYSICS TEACHER AT AIR FORCE SCHOOL, AGRA…..

Your attention is drawn towards the plight of 11th Standard Class students of Air Force School located at Air Force Station, Agra. (tel : 2303860 , 2302173 , 2400920 )

Thanking you and I sincerely look forward to your immediate HELP………………!!!!!!
    With warm Regards

VK – a Hassled Parent

gemini_leo007@yahoo.co.in

9. Rajni Kathpalia, W/o Sh.Amar Nath Kathpalia, O/o the Area Organiser, SSB(MHA), Narkatiaganj, PO. Narkatiaganj, Dist. West Champaran, Bihar: 845455 says:

Sub. SAVE MY CHILD FROM MENTAL, PHYSICAL TORTURE & RAGING (Directed by school).

Hon’ble Sir,

With profound reverence and due respect I beg to put forward the few lines for your kind information and sympathic action that

On 16.11.2009, during visit of an Inquiry Officer at Kendriya Vidyalaya, Bettiah, my son informed him that one of the teachers of the school putting pressure on him for taking PRIVATE TUITION.

As a result of it, my son had been physically assaulted and since then he is facing mental & physical torture and raging also from school administration (Some local teachers & Principal) and from his class-fellow on various fake allegations.

Inspite of several complaints lodged by me and my husband the school authority has not yet taken any step to stop their activities against my son. I have also intimated Commissioner(Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan, New Delhi), Assistant Commissioner, Education Officer and Information Officer, KVS, Patna, DM and Superintendent of Police, Bettiah in several occassions by Speed Posts, E-mails and Faxes and over telephone, but no reply has yet been received from their end.

Sir, I am a residing at Bettiah, West Champaran, Bihar which is near-about 1000 Kms away from my native place Delhi and in this situation I am totally helpless for saving my child from such type of torture.

It is therefore requested that you would be kind enough to look into the matter and save my child from such activities.

Thanking you, Sir.

Yours faithfully

(RAJNI KATHPALIA)
    Mother of Akshit Kathpalia
    Bettiah (Mob.09472398827)
    C/o Prayag Lal (Majholia Sugar Mill)
    Bhagwati Nagar, Bettiah,
    Dist. West Champaran
    Bihar: 845438

10. Normal thinking human says:

The comments on this blog post of yours show how intelligent people can be !!! I mean seriously .. what age nd time do they belong to ??

11. Brajesh Singh says:

Dear sir,

I am brajesh singh parent of one in the M.Tech.students of CIPET-Hajipur,Bihar.I beg to state that my child studied in M.Tech (PT) in CIPET Hajipur(Bihar) session 2007-09.My child is nice fellow but his M.Tech.(P.T.) session 2007-09 has not finished on till now, whenever all students submitted the project reports approx. one year before but not got 3 rd semester mark sheet & 4 th sem voice – viva date or final certificates. Now days, When my child & his friends went in college for getting the status about course then management body told & given the circular to them that you have to publish at least one paper in international journal or ready for publication.
    I heared & I am shocked on this type of irresponsibility of senior management in CIPET .i didn`t know & think that Central institute can busted my child life.
    So, I shall feel obliged if you will kindly check the reason for this delay & take necessary action to rectify the mistake & complete the M.Tech. Course.
    Thanks & regards

Brajesh Singh

12. subham gupta says:

sir,
    with due respect i beg to state that i am a student of nandi international,bellary(karnataka).i am doing my pu1 from there but earlier i have done my board exams from kenderiya vidyalaya,chakradharpur,w.singhbhum,jharkhand..but now i wanted to move back to my place as i am feeling very uncomfortable there…but at the same time i donot want to waste my one year…so kindly do something for me…i shall always oblige you for this..

your’s
    subham gupta
    roll no-48
    nandi intenational school and pu college,bellary(karnataka)

13. subham gupta says:

so that i can join my 12th standard here…now i am in karnataka pu board..

14. Ashu says:

WTF , Is this a movie blog or a forum for letters to the HRD ministry ?