This post is to track all the buzz from the Cannes – reviews, interviews, videos and more. For the Cannes buzz of Vasan Bala’s Peddlers, click here.
Starting with some generic news links.
– Edouard Waintrop, Artistic Director of the Directors’ Fortnight, talks about the new wave of Indian cinema. Click here.
– VIDEO : Tom Brooks’ Cannes edition of Talking Movies starts with Indian films. Click here.
– Review published in the Screen International is here.
– The Hollywood Reporter’s review is here, which describes it as Bollywood meets Boogie Nights in stylized retro-sleazy thriller.
– Variety’s review is here. You need account to read it. But if you are too curious, go close to the screen, squint your eyes and you will be able to read through the black screen.
– A small review in Sight and Sound is here which says the film is mesmerising for the first hour or so, during which, the echoes of Boogie Nights aside, I found myself thinking of Wong Kar-Wai, Scorsese, Matteo Garrone’s Gomorrah and even Irma Vep. Unfortunately the film then palls somewhat – director Ashim Ahluwalia can’t hold onto a story, or develop characters. But while it’s good it’s very good indeed, and had it been that touch better (and shorter) it could have been a game-changer for Indian cinema.
– Ahluwalia makes ‘Lovely’ impact, says Saibal Chatterjee in The Sunday Indian. Click here.
– New York Times piece on the film is here.
– Ashim’s interview in Another mag is here.
– Ad Vitam has picked up the French rights of the film. News link is here.
– VIDEO : Anupama Chopra’s interview of Ashim Ahluwalia is here.
GANGS OF WASSEYPUR
– Review in Screen International is here which says, this Tarantino-tinged Bihari take on The Godfather has what it takes to cross over from the Indian domestic and Diaspora markets to reach out to action-loving, gore-tolerant theatrical and auxiliary genre audiences worldwide.
– The Hollywood Reporter review is here which calls it a dizzying explosion of an Indian gangster film, whose epic structure and colorful, immoral killers capture the imagination for over five hours..
– Review on desi site DearCinema is here.
– Long piece in french edition of Huffington Post is here. Use GT.
– Coverage on BBC website.
– Saibal Chatterjee’s report in The Sunday Indian is here.
– VIDEO : Anupama Chopra’s interview with Kashyap and Bala is here.
– Click on the play button to watch the official video of the screening
If we have missed any links, do post it in the comments section. We will keep on updating the post with new links.