And the “2011 Rewind” series continues. You can read our previous posts here (honest movie posters), here (Bollywood songs we looped), here (Non-bollywood hits of the year), here (exciting moments at the movies), and here (films which dared to bend the rules). Also, we are scooping some of the best year-end lists here.
Like last year, in this post we have tried to dissect what we learnt at the movies this year – the good, the bad, the ugly, and the questions that baffled us through out the year.
20 Things We Learnt At The Movies
1. Zoya Akhtar is a better filmmaker than Farhan Akhtar. 2/2 > 1.5/4. LBC + ZNMD > DCH + 1/2Lakshya
2. Nikhil Advani scored a dud hattrick and proved again that KHNH was indeed directed by Karan Johar. Patiala House.
3. Big B can’t sell tickets anymore. He is hit on the small screen but is a flop on the big screen. KBC. BHTB. Even when he was in his best commercial avatar, the excuses given were many – low budget, recovery before release, satellite rights.
4. Creative collaboration with spouses and family is not a bright idea. Dhobi Ghat. TGIYB. Mausam. Tere Mere Phere. Love Breakups Zindagi.
5. B for Bachchan. B for Bhagnani. B for Box Office. But you never know which way the last B will swing. Even Jackie B’s film can score better than Abhishek B’s film. Faltu. Game.
6. Tusshar Kapoor still can’t act. He was the odd man out even when the films scored – either critically acclaimed Shor In The City or commercial hit The Dirty Picture. His pillow dance in TDP can give nightmare to anyone.
Dear Ekta Kapoor, let him go. Even Aditya Chopra has given up on Uday Chopra.
7. You can’t calculate the target audience and then make films according to it. Otherwise Y Films’ Luv Ka The End and Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge would have been blockbusters. Pre-release claim – 60% (?) of theatre going audience is youth. Post-release – we recovered our costs.
8. Every filmmaker has one great film in him/her. Some people make their debut with that one. Tigmanshu Dhulia is done with it. Stop expecting. Shagird. Sahid Biwi Aur Gangster.
9. When it comes to Ramu, camera and dildo have the same purpose, interest and area of specialisation. NALS.
10. Prakash Jha creates political events but has no clue about political films now. Raajneeti was a joke, and we are not sure how to describe the awful Aarakshan.
11. Imtiaz Ali will keep churning out films based on his single template of romance. He knows it but doesn’t know what to do about it. Rockstar.
12. Himesh Reshammiya is not going to give up so soon. Let’s all pray. Damadamm! In 2012 he has more.
13. Dad + Sons > Mom + Daughter. Deols. Yamla Pagla Deewana. Tell Me O Kkhuda.
14. Remake is NOT a hit formula. Soundtrack was a mess.
15. We don’t need superheroes. Our heroes can do everything. Ra One. Zokkomon.
16. Bhai-porn is here to stay. We are still not bored. Ready. Bodyguard.
17. Indian Mens Are Hot. Courtesy Anil Kapoor. Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol.
18. Sex and Shah Rukh Khan still sells. Ra One. Murder 2. Don 2. The Dirty Picture.
19. When an actress gets into film production, it means her career is officially over. Lara Dutta. Dia Mirza, Ameesha Patel. Shilpa Shetty.
20. We still haven’t lost A R Rahman to the west. When he delivers, he is the best. Rockstar.
10 Unanswered Questions
1. Will the real Abhinay Deo please stand up? Which one to trust – Game or Delhi Belly?
2. Who read the script of Game and approved it?
3. Who thought about changing Mimoh’s name to Mahakshay?
4. In which camera do you have the option of in-built subtitles? And for ghosts? Ragini MMS.
5. Who added extra ‘B’ in Bbuddah, extra ‘K’ In Tell Me O Kkhuda, extra ‘A’s in Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge and what purpose they served?
6. Is his name Bumpy? Just Bumpy? Really? Luv Ka The End.
7. In how many more films will we see Vinay Pathak in lead role and doing the same bumbling fool act? This year he had five releases. Yes, five!
8. Can G. One fly? If so, why does he need to travel in a plane? Ra One.
9. Always Kabhi Kabhi – Who is the brain behind the weirdest title of the year?
10. Who is Nagesh Kukunoor?
And what’s your list? What all you discovered or learnt at the movies this year? And what all remains unanswered? Do let us know in comments.